Toastmasters members have many opportunities to strengthen their leadership skills. Some members take on leadership roles within the club or district while others prefer to conduct specialized workshops to help their fellow members or their community. Some of the more common activities are listed below.
Note: Pathways has leadership opportunities built into the various Path projects.
- Be a Club Officer
- Be a District Officer
- Coordinate a Speechcraft Workshop
- Coordinate a Youth Leadership Session
- Conduct a High Performance Leadership Program
- Help Build (Sponsor or Mentor) a Club or Rebuild (Coach) a Club
- Serving as a Personal Mentor to Another Toastmaster
Toastmasters is 'Where Leaders Are Made' - members are encouraged to participate in these leadership programs. As with most activities in the Toastmasters program, members are recognized for their efforts after completing one of these activities.
Club Officer Positions
Serving as a club officer gives you the opportunity to develop valuable leadership skills while also helping your fellow Toastmasters. To help you prepare for the role, the district sponsors a number of Club Officer Training sessions to discuss your duties as an officer. Serving as a club officer for 12 months satisfies one of the requirements for Pathways DTM.
Listed below are the officer positions in each Toastmasters club.
- Vice President Education
- Vice President Membership
- Vice President Public Relations
- Sergeant at Arms
District Officer Positions
After serving as a club officer, you may want to further enhance your leadership capabilities by serving as a district officer or specialist. Serving as a district officer for one full term satisfies one of the requirements for Pathways DTM. (All district officers serve a twelve-month term, from July 1 to June 30.)
Listed below are the officer positions at the district level.
- District Director (elected)
- Program Quality Director (elected)
- Club Growth Director (elected)
- Public Relations Manager (elected or appointed)
- Administration Manager (appointed)
- Finance Manager (appointed)
- Division Director (elected)
- Area Director (appointed)